Monday, June 30, 2008

another crazy day



So, yet another crazy day for us. AJ had his follow up echo today for his PVS. He won't see the cardiologist for another 2 weeks. He did amazingly well so it should be a great study. Jake and Caleb were great while waiting also. Levi was also great but it's hard for him not to be, he is so sweet. AJ was supposed to go to the hand surgeon this afternoon but when we got there he was running an hour behind. I weighed the extra gas to come back in to town and reschedule against the aggravation of sitting there with 4 hungry and tired and bored kids in an overfull waiting room. The gas lost. I'm actually pleased with my decision. I am always so worried about waste, ie gas, that I usually try to do too much and I'm usually sorry. Today I finally got it through my head. I decided that it wasn't worth it to expect them all to sit and behave in a crowded waiting room for at least an hour and then wait in the exam room for who knows how long. I knew that they wouldn't be able to. They are only kids after all. I knew that I would get mad at them and frustated and everyone of us would be miserable. I knew it was just setting them up for failure if I tried. I'm so proud of myself that I didn't try. We still had to sit in rush hour traffic but at least AJ went to sleep. We ate dinner and the boys took baths and then we read from the Friend. I have noticed such a difference since we started reading the Friend at bedtime. I have more patience. It's hard to notice a difference in the boys but at least they recognize repeat stories and are able to repeat some lessons from the stories.

No comments: