Thursday, December 10, 2009

Our Adventure


We had a grand adventure this week. Our power went out with the storm Monday night, what a storm. Check out the display sheds at Lowe's. It's hard to see but the bigger shed was moved into the light pole and it was blown so far that there were sheds behind it also. The other one was missing panels. I love the weather and when it's fantastic I get so excited. Monday was so exciting!!! Our power flickered several times throughout the day and evening. Monday night it went out and stayed out. Thankfully we were up so we bundled up the kids with extra blankets and went to bed wondering if it would come back on by morning. It didn't. Levi came into bed with us freezing in the middle of the night. The rest of them were good until 5:30 when Caleb and AJ woke up and couldn't get the lights to come on. AJ came into our bed, I got up to light the candle I had left next to my bed and Caleb went to wake up Jake. My favorite part of the morning came when they all got back to my room and Caleb and Jake were starting to panic. Caleb, " MOM, THERE IS NO ELECTRICITY IN THE WHOLE HOUSE". Me, " I know. The storm knocked out the power." Jake, "WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO?" Me, " We get to have an adventure! We get to use candles and pretend we are pioneers for the morning." This was followed by a long pause and then a chorus of "COOL!" Normally I'm not that creative so I know the Lord was helping me that very cold and dark morning. My kids had a great time. Even my awesome husband who isn't a morning person, out of necessity, got up cheerfully and took us all to breakfast so we could have a hot breakfast. On our way to the restaurant we could see that some neighborhoods had power while others didn't. Caleb lamented that it wasn't fair. I agreed and said, "You're right, they don't get to have an adventure and use candles and go to the restaurant for breakfast on a school day." That stuck with him all day and when I picked them up after school they were disappointed the power was back on and asked if we could pretend the next morning. I love my family!! I love the adventure we are living!!! I'm thankful we had so many candles since the batteries were dead in all of our flashlights because AJ likes to play with them. I'm thankful we have a warm home to protect us from what were amazing winds and a very cold bunch of nights lately. I'm thankful we aren't really pioneers living like that everyday, I'm thankful that there are and were others who were willing to make the necessary sacrifices to make our comfortable and blessed way of life possible. I'm thankful we got to have that adventure to remind me again.

No comments: