Sunday, November 21, 2010

MY NEW ROBOTIC FINGER


So when I broke my finger in September I really did a doozy.  I actually tore the ligament on the diastal (last) joint of my middle finger.  Ligaments don't have a great blood supply so often don't heal and this one didn't either.   When it started pulling to the left I knew it was going to be surgery, I figured I'd just say no and have a crooked ugly finger forever but unfortunately, I couldn't.  It was going to keep going left and getting worse so I had to fix it.  I did it this week.  The surgeon started talking graft from my wrist.  I voted fusion instead.  Realistically, it was a difference of 18 months healing time and several thousand dollars, neither of which do I have.  Now instead I have a screw in my finger.  It hurts like the dickens but is already hurting less than it was yesterday, thankfully because I don't know how people can stand to take these drugs.  My head is foggy, my stomach is yucky and I'm worthless all the time.  Since I don't make a habit of taking pain meds and when I have to I end up throwing away most of the script, my body isn't used to drugs and I can feel these ones kick in, it's like a wave and I don't like it!  Surprisingly it doesn't even get rid of the pain, only dulls it so I'm goofy, useless and exhausted and I still hurt, it's just not right. But there is an end in sight now and for this I'm grateful.  Anyone who knows me won't be surprised that I asked the surgeon to take pics of the surgery. Equally not surprising, he said no, he said that the window was too small and I wouldn't be able to see anything, he did however  take these xrays for me.  Cool huh?

No comments: