Wednesday, April 28, 2010

BIKES, BIKES AND MORE BIKES

Most everyone who knows me knows I love to ride my bike. We ride our bikes ALOT. I love the exercise and it saves alot of unnecessary driving and gas thereby helping out our budget. I also love to use it to get rid of pent up boy energy ie when they are fighting alot we'll go for a 5 mile ride or longer depending on how long it takes them to quit arguing about who's fault it is we're on the ride. We got Jake a new bike for Christmas and almost immediately he started having problems with it until last month on a family ride the rear gears got stuck in the spokes of his rear tire and snapped off. I bought the "replacement plan" for the bike originally thank goodness but then I found out that it only covers the original cost of the bike, not actually replacing the bike. I don't think that is fair since the nature of an insurance policy is a gamble on both sides, they gamble I won't ever use it and they'll get to keep my money with no qualms. I gamble that I may need it and want the bike REPLACED OR REPAIRED. I don't want the money, that's why I spent it on the bike, I want the bike. They should call it a refund plan not replacement plan. Moving on... today we rode our bikes to the park for playgroup, all the boys and me except Levi was in the trailer. No Problem. Until on our way home there was some brief confusion about which way we were going and Jake turned immediately in front of AJ and AJ's front tire hit Jake's back tire... AJ's bike stopped instantly and AJ went flying over the handle bars and landed on his head on the sidewalk. I screamed, AJ screamed and everything else stopped. Thankfully he is ok thanks in no small part to his helmet that he was wearing. I'm certain I'll never have another argument about wearing helmets from Jake and Caleb or AJ for that matter. It took a few minutes for all of us to calm down and Jake still feels bad. On the way home AJ asked, from my trailer, if he could ride his bike to Caleb's practice tonight so I guess he is ok. Huge thanks to Darice for bringing AJ's bike home for me, I'm not sure if she heard me scream or just saw us but I'm thankful to her for coming accross the street to help us! I'm also thankful that all of the horrible things that could have happened from a fall/landing like that didn't! I still have a knot in my chest from watching it and not being able to stop it.

No comments: