Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Another day in the life of a blessed mom

Today started out fair, got rough in the middle and then miraculously ended wonderfully. Some days I am so tired that I can't wait for bedtime but that isn't why today ended wonderfully. Today I dragged myself out of bed exhausted again, I haven't really slept in almost 8 years but it's not really that bad. Anyhow I rolled out of bed and got the day started with my favorite boys, all but the oldest. They got off to school and the little ones and I came home to start the rest of my day. I got a little exercising done but Levi and AJ both were clingy and crabby so it was obvious that it was going to be a nonproductive day. AJ told me there was something in his ear. I have an otoscope and so I looked. He was right. It's draining pus from his tubes. I have to take him in to see Dr. B again. Levi's ears looked good, just more teeth coming in. Nothing I did made them happy except holding them. I have come to realize it does no good to fight it or stress about all of the things being left undone while I sit and hold them so I don't. Anyhow about noon my dear visiting teacher came to visit. I had forgotten. I was still in my pj's and my house was a wreck. HOW EMBARASSING!!!! She said "you look different." One of those minutes I wish I could freeze time and clean up quickly. At least my teeth were brushed. That's pretty well how my afternoon went. But later she called me and said she remembered what it was like to have sick kids and she was bringing me dinner and already had it in the oven. She is so wonderful and it was so nice to be able to take care of the kids instead of worrying about what to fix for dinner. Jake and Caleb are great helpers too and took the babies to play so that I could sew the patches on Jake's scout shirt for scouts tonight. I took Jake to scouts and the babies fell asleep on the way home so when I got home Caleb and I had some one on one time. We don't get that very often and I'm so glad we did tonight. We played basketball and 2 square. We laughed and just enjoyed each other. I actually felt like a good mom. The babies woke up of course and didn't want to go to bed on time, imagine that. I don't care, it was worth it. I love my kids so much and I have so much fun with them. I am so grateful for them and the lessons they teach me. Sometimes I have to remind myself of a favorite quote, "cleaning the house while children are growing is like shoveling the walk while it's still snowing." Phyllis Diller. I can't expect it to stay clean for more than a few minutes.

1 comment:

Risa said...

i think you are a great mom!! you are always a good example to me of putting your kids first. they are lucky to have you as a mom.