Friday, September 24, 2010

MMMM PEACHES!

Happy  Autumn!  The leaves are starting to turn, well some of them are anyway, the kids are in school, football is going strong, and we are all in jeans and long sleeves so it's time to can some peaches!  I was pretty intimidated since all I heard was peeling and waterbath and syrup and more stuff I had never done and I was doing it alone.  So I googled it and found this blog, http://www.simplycanning.com/canning-peaches.html  made it so much easier and has instructions for other fruits too!  These are the first fruits I've attempted to can and... just look at how pretty they turned out!  I left them in my dining room window just so that I could admire them for awhile, I thought about tying some raffia around them but decided that's a bit too much.
They are so much easier than I though they would be and now I'm not afraid anymore.  I'm going to tackle apple pie filling next, as soon as I find some apples for a good price, otherwise it defeats the purpose of canning to save money right?  I'm super excited though because I found a great and super easy recipe for pork chops and stuffing with apple pie filling and my whole fam inhaled it and R even took extra to work for later.  So yummy!  I love canning, it makes me feel like a domestic goddess!  I relish the little pop it makes when it seals!

2 comments:

Amber Miskin said...

Do share the recipe you guys love! I always keep apple pie filling in the freezer, so do share!

Bon said...

I love to can too, I canned alot when I ahd my huge garden. Apple pie filling and apple sauce are fun, but only really worth it if you get free apples. Good luck, I love canning my own food, it feels so domestic and is healthier for the family. Kepp it up.